Howard University has a noble mission and a glorious legacy of Veritas et Utilitas – Truth and Service. Since its inception in 1867, Howard University, a unique and irreplaceable institution, continues to serve the world as a beacon of opportunity, enabling generations of men and women to fulfill their dreams through the pursuit of knowledge.
Howard University has made its mark on the world with notable alumni who have served as pioneers in every walk of life. In addition to our past President, H. Patrick Swygert, Howard's notable alumni include:
• The late U.S. Supreme Court Justice, Thurgood Marshall
• The first African-American Governor, L. Douglas Wilder
• Nobel Laureate and Pulitzer Prize winning author, Toni Morrison
• Emmy nominated actress, Phylicia Rashad
• Classical Singer and Diva, Jessye Norman
• Stellar Award winning gospel musician, Richard Smallwood
• Actress, producer and director, Debbie Allen
• The first African-American President of the American College of Surgeons, Dr. LaSalle Leffall, Jr.
• Attorney, Civil Rights Leader and Wall Street Executive, Vernon Jordan, Esq.
• Former Mayor and United Nations Ambassador, Andrew Young
• The first female Mayor of Atlanta, Shirley Franklin
• Oscar nominated actress, Taraji P. Henson
• Actor, from Tyler Perry's hit show, "House of Payne," Lance Gross
• Mogul, Sean "Diddy" Combs
• Current Mayor of Atlanta, The Honorable Kasim Reed
• Olympic Bronze Medal winner, David Oliver
• Comedian and Actor, Marlon Wayans
• Actress, Wendy Raquel Robinson
• Media Mogul, Oprah Winfrey
• Actor, Hill Harper
• Comedian/Actor, Anthony Anderson
• Actress, Paula Jai Parker
• Grammy Award-Winning Singer, Roberta Flack
• Acclaimed R&B Singer/Songwriter Angela Winbush
• The late Grammy Award Winner Donny Hathaway
The University continues to attract the world's top students and produces more on campus African American Ph.D.'s than any other university in the world. Howard University graduates the nation's top professionals in medicine, law and dentistry. Howard continues to reach new heights each day and enrich the lives of its students, alumni, faculty and the global community.
The Howard University Homecoming Experience…
Hip Hop artists Ludacris and The Notorious B.I.G. said it best, "You just can't miss the Homecoming at Howard!" The inaugural Howard Homecoming celebration was held in 1924 and the celebration has become increasingly successful as time passes. Each year over 100,000 faithful alumni, family, and friends come home to the Mecca. The multi-faceted homecoming celebration has fostered a legacy of fellowship, entertainment and most importantly good ol' Howard University Bison pride.
Whether walking across the bustling Main Yard during the YardFest or getting a sneak peek at the newest trends in fashion and popular culture at the infamous Fashion Show wondering – "is THIS the runway or the entrance into the auditorium?" or if it is receiving your spiritual fulfillment for the rest of the week at the Gospel Concert, the Howard University Homecoming is an exhilarating experience from beginning to end. Each event during the four (4) day celebration promises to cater to all attendees.
Over time, Howard University Homecoming has become a national event and continues to serve as a launching pad for upcoming artists, designers, entertainers and new products.